Monday 25 April 2011

Read it and weep

So currently reading introductory books on the QL to see if I can get a boost of inspiration or anything obvious I have missed. A couple of things have come to light initially, the first is the amount of repetitive waffle you have to plough through before you get to something tangible to deal with. For example showing you how to plug the QL in and connect it up to a TV when the user book already does that I find it a bit condescending, although I did find the reference to the TV must be able to receive BBC 2 quiet funny.

The second point in another book was a whole load of text around X = X + 10, and although obvious to the programmer what it means, the writer goes on to explain about how it doesn't make mathematical sense, and for the first time I did look at it from both sides. As an engineer I have an understanding of mathematic for formulae and as a programmer an understanding of computer algorithms, so why did I not see this conflict before and just accept the logical sense of it, a formulae X = X + 10 would equate to nonsense. It's interesting to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment